Saturday, February 5, 2011

WEEK THREE...DAY SEVEN

I saved the best for last...
THE DRAGON, was created on a card table amongst floor to ceiling boxes and furniture stored in a room called The Way Back during the beginning of our remodel. I swear it kept me sane.
It was suppose to be a sculpture for the garden, but after days of work, I decided to make it into a lamp and had to tear it apart to wind an electrical cord thru it. All the little stones are from a garden path near the roses. The river rocks were taken from our old stairwell: story goes it originally had a waterfall under the pavers that zig-zagged between floors. By the time we purchased the house, the water feature had disappeared, and lava and river rocks, dirt, plastic and silk flowers filled in the space. Lovely (not). The face, scales and tail piece (originally a holiday ornament) were made in a ceramics class in my local Art Center. Needless to say, once completed, it was too fine for outside. And it's a bit heavy - it takes at least 2 men to move it around.
AND....I was born in the year of the dragon so I have a special affinity for the mystical creature.

No comments:

Post a Comment