Friday, January 14, 2011

WEEK ONE...DAY SIX

Thankyou to my three followers! A representative of the Palos Verdes Art Center was here this morning - Kristina Mermelstein - wanting me to make a submission for the Art At Your Fingertips program for the 2011-2012 scool calendar. If my concept is selected, I will teach two workshops to the art docents who in turn would bring the project to 6000 students. At the moment, I'm considering Guiseppe Arcimboldo, an Italian artist born in 1572 who painted portraits using  a combination of fruits and vegetables. I'd adapt it to a collage with magazine images as the paper source. How much fun could that be?
Today's collage is SAINT BARBIE, one in the only triptyck in this EYE collection. Plus, the only 3 pieces where a friend  - Mick DiMaria - was so excited about the series, he donated some images to the project. I later honored him by creating his portrait (you'll see that soon). Each piece works on its own and also fit together as a puzzle. Jesus is the centerpiece and I mean no disrespect to The Guy but the triptych has some subtle S & M undertones. This one includes one of my favorites black and white collages from the 80's called THREE BABES. I liked how the briars in the background complimented the crown of thorns. And we all worship one thing or another during our lives, sometimes just as a passing fancy or it becomes a permanent part of the fabric of our discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment