Sunday, January 23, 2011

WEEK THREE...DAY ONE

This week I will feature the Artists' Portraits series, starting with the one and only VINCENT VAN GOGH. These works resemble the artist and are created in their trademark techniques. I was fortunate to see the original self portrait in Vincent's very own museum in Amsterdam on my honeymoon. It brought tears to my eyes. His mental stability wavered towards the end (the book I'm currently reading suggests some form of epilepsy) yet I've never experienced more raw, heart rendering emotion painted into a canvas other than the works of Edvard Munch. This artwork returned home yesterday after spending 6 months in Lotus Post in Santa Monica. I really tried to capture his brush strokes with hundreds of tiny strips of canson paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment